Saturday

The Elusive Summer Romance

“Hello, hello, hello! Wake up, wake up, wake up!” sang the alarm clock on the side of the bed. Sunlight poured through the huge bay window as the warm morning breeze meandered its way in and caressed Gina’s sleeping form. She groaned and pulled her quilt over her face. Did morning have to come so soon? She heard the water running in the bathroom and her mother yelling into her room it was time to wake up otherwise she’d miss her flight. Suddenly, it dawned on Gina what day it was. Not only was it the first day of the summer solstice, it was June 21st! The day Gina was supposed to leave for her first trip to London. It was the first time Gina was traveling to another country on her own, not to mention she was going to that wonderful city she had been begging her parents to go for years! How could I have forgotten? Gina wondered, lightly smacking her palm across her forehead. Gina bounded out of bed and raced into the shower. There was no way she was missing her flight to London!


An hour later, Gina was packed and settled in the front seat of her mother’s car, ready to go. She looked out at the lush new rose buds and the brightly blooming azaleas. A sea of color filled the flower beds her mother had worked so hard to plant in the spring. Gina loved the summertime for many reasons, and the bloom of beautiful, fragrant flowers was one of them. She watched her mother as she finished watering the plants and turned off the hose. I’m really going to miss her, but I’ll only be gone for the summer, Gina thought.


As her mother drove, Gina grew deeper in thought about all that awaited her. She had chosen to spend the summer in London, but could she really keep herself from growing homesick? What about my friends? I’m going to spend my entire vacation in a foreign country. Will I be able to meet knew people? Gina’s thoughts also wandered to the romantic end of the spectrum. She had not dated anyone in a long time. I wonder if I will find an English gentleman to sweep me off my feet. Perhaps I will meet some fancy British royal who will fall madly in love with me and we will engage in a wildly romantic summer fling, Gina thought and giggled to herself.


Thirty minutes later, Gina arrived at the airport, passport in hand and hair flying every which way as she struggled to lug her brand new hot pink suitcase and carry-on through the door. To make matters worse, the automatic door had jammed so she had to push it manually.

“Excuse me miss, can I help you with that?”


Gina, hearing the lilting northern English accent, spun around immediately and stared up into the emerald pools gazing down at her in a very amused fashion. Struggling, to regain her composure, Gina ran a hand through her wavy hair and smiled coolly.


“I’ve got it under control, thanks.” She turned back to her luggage, hoisted up the annoyingly large carry-on bag on to one shoulder and began rolling the suitcase toward the check-in desk. Completely lost in her thoughts about the young Englishman she had just seen and desperately trying to get to the check-in counter before the lines became increasingly long, Gina did not see the online check-in kiosk until she walked headfirst into it. Oh, this is not going very well, is it? She thought to herself as she struggled to get up. However, her large carry-on, still attached to her shoulder, was very heavy and pulled her back to the ground the first time she attempted to rise. Suddenly, a long, slender hand appeared in front of her.


“Come on up miss. Don’t be afraid, I won’t bite. Besides, look at what I found,” came the musical voice once again as the English stranger waved Gina’s passport in her face. She took the outstretched hand and rose as gracefully as she could.


“Thank you. I don’t know how I can be so clumsy. I am just in a hurry to get checked-in I guess. I don’t want to miss my flight,” she said softly.


“Where are you headed?” he asked


“To London. I’m flying with Continental, and you?”


“You’re going to London! I guess we’re on the same flight. I was just headed to the Continental counter. Come on, let’s check-in. Don’t worry, you’re not late. The plane doesn’t leave for two hours. There’s been a slight delay. I’m Adam by the way,” he said as they started walking toward the counter.


“I’m Gina. Are you from London? Your accent sounds very northern.”


“Well I live in London now. I moved there about two years ago. I was born and raised in Leeds though. You have a good ear, eh?” His eyes twinkled.

After they checked in, Adam looked at his watch. As they began walking toward their gate, he spotted a bagel shop.


“Well we’ve got at least an hour before boarding. Want to grab a cup of coffee or something?” he asked Gina.


“Sure, why not?” she responded. Gina suddenly realized she was ravenous. She had not eaten a thing that morning and her hectic rush to get checked-in had made her very hungry. After ordering and collecting their breakfast, Adam and Gina found a table next to the window, where they could watch the travelers pass by.


“So may I ask the purpose of your trip to London?” Adam asked curiously as he sipped his small over-priced cup of coffee that the server claimed was brewed from beans grown in the Blue Mountains of Jamaica.


“I’ve always wanted to visit. When I was in college, I wanted to study abroad in London…I’d always get the applications, but then I’d rethink it and decide I would be too homesick. I was supposed to go last summer, but I had to change my plans because of a wonderful opportunity I received. I told myself nothing would stop my visit this summer though, and here I am.”


“Well you picked a great time to visit. This is probably the best season to visit, although things are pricier. I’m not very fond of the weather in the England, and although you should expect rain, it is probably the least dreary season.”


“I know. I’ve got a few friends who all recommend I should visit during the summer. They are always complaining about the rain, but I don’t care. I love feeling the rain on my skin when it’s warm outside. It’s so refreshing…” Gina’s eyes glazed over as she contemplated how much she loved that particular aspect of the summer season. After a few moments, she realized Adam was looking at her with a small smile on his lips.


It’s also the only time I have off where I can spend an extended amount of time. You see, I’m a teacher, so I can’t really take off in the middle of the school year,” she quickly continued.
“Oh wow! My mum’s a teacher as well. What level do you teach?”

“Well, I’m licensed in the primary…” Gina’s voice trailed off as Adam’s cell phone began to ring.


“I’m sorry Gina, I must take this,” Adam apologized as he flipped his phone open.


“Hello?” Adam listened for a minute, then excused himself and stepped outside the shop. Gina’s eyes followed him as he paced in front of the window, apparently in a heated conversation. She seriously took in his good looks for the first time. He was quite tall, at least over six feet. His shiny black hair was kept short and spiky. Of course she couldn’t forget his bottomless green eyes which glittered like emeralds when he was in deep thought. She could tell he was athletic; his trim build was visible through his close fitting t-shirt and blue jeans. Just then Gina noticed he had caught her gazing at him. He flashed a bright white smile at her, and she felt her heart go pitter-patter. Gina grinned back at him as he hung up the phone and sauntered back into the shop.


“Thanks for waiting so patiently. So where were we?” Adam asked, as he smoothly slid into his seat.


“Hmm, I kind of forgot,” Gina admitted sheepishly.


“Did something distract you?” he asked wickedly. Gina blushed. She realized she was developing a tendre for this man she barely knew anything about, except for the fact that he was too attractive for his own good. He was also quite kind, offering to help her without any reason to do so, she reminded herself.


“What ever do you mean Adam? I was just thinking about my trip to London. How I should spend my time, you know?” She replied.


“And how do you plan to spend your time?”


“Well, there are so many things to do! I want to visit the Tower of London, Buckingham Palace, the Globe Theatre, the London Eye…”


“All great places to see. So if I may so bold as to ask, no one special to see?” Adam inquired.


“Well I have an aunt, but I’ve never met her. I have some friends I definitely want to see as well. So how do you spend your day Adam?” she answered, evading his prodding question.


“I’m a social worker.”


“I see. When I was younger, I wanted to be a social worker. But everyone discouraged it saying it was a low-paying, highly stressful job.”


“That it is, but I like my job. I’ve always wanted to work with children. I expect you feel the same, as you’ve chosen to be a primary school teacher?” Adam asked. Gina nodded. She couldn’t believe her luck. This wonderful man was not only friendly and down to earth; he shared her passion for helping children and was handsome as sin to booth! Should I ask him to meet up in London? She wondered. Why not! It’s not like I will ever see this man again. What have I got to lose? An awkward flight, if he refuses, that’s all. Gathering her courage, Gina looked at Adam. He was gazing at her with a soft smile on his face.


“Adam?”


“Yes?”


“I was wondering, if, sometime, perhaps you would like to…” Gina trailed off as Adam stood up and beckoned to someone entering the shop. A tall, willowy woman strolled up to their table. She was absolutely gorgeous, possibly one of the most beautiful women Gina had ever seen. Her whitish blonde was long and straight, cascading down to about the middle of her back. Her slender frame was covered in a form-fitting black dress that screamed designer label. The woman tossed her beautiful locks, and smiled brightly at Adam and Gina.

“Adam, don’t just stand there gaping. Aren’t you going to introduce me to your little friend?” she asked in a clipped, very posh London accent. Who is she? Gina wondered as she attempted to smile back. Adam took the woman’s arm and looked at Gina.


“Gina, this lovely woman here is my wife, Susan.”


“Oh, Adam, really! I don’t look old enough to be a wife,” Susan replied airily. She continued, “Well, anyway, thank you for being a dear and keeping my husband company. Our summer holiday was brutally cut short. You see Adam’s grandmother has passed away and we must return sooner than expected for the funeral. Of course, he claims he is too shook up to do anything, so I had to take care of all our accounts and things before I could come here.”


“Oh…well I’m sorry to hear that,” Gina replied shocked. She looked at Adam questioningly. He had not mentioned a word of his grandmother’s death nor did he look as if he was in morning. Even more importantly, he had not mentioned he was married!


“All right Adam, let’s go. Our flight will be boarding soon,” Susan turned gracefully and began walking toward the exit.


“Thanks again,” She called casually as she strolled off. Adam smiled apologetically at Gina.


“That’s my wife. Thank you for the wonderful company Gina. I really must go. Perhaps I will see you on the plane. Take care.”


“Of course, take care. It was nice meeting you.” Gina gazed wistfully after him as Adam hurried to catch up to the stunning woman who was his wife. His wife! Why had it not occurred to her that such a wonderful man would be taken? she thought to herself. Just then an airport official began to make an announcement over the p.a. system.


“Attention all travelers! Continental flight 604 to London has been further delayed. Would all passengers flying Continental flight 604 please come to gate six in terminal C or return to the Continental check-in counter for more details.”


Following the announcement, Gina returned to the check-in counter and learned the flight had been canceled because of the weather in London. After being told she couldn’t get on a flight to London until the next day, Gina called her mother. On her way home, she made the decision to get out and enjoy the beautiful first day of summer to the best of her ability. She asked her mother to drop her off at the local park.


Strolling through the main entrance, Gina spotted several children at a home-made lemonade stand. Purchasing a cup, she took a sip of the cool refreshing juice. She loved freshly squeezed lemonade on a warm day and this was no exception. The sugary yet tangy taste of the lemonade languished on her tongue as she began a stroll down the bike path. It was a very warm and sunny day, but the light breeze kept it from being muggy. As she walked, her thoughts couldn’t help but turn to the dashing Englishman who had swept her off her feet just two hours before. Although, she had found the circumstance terribly unfair earlier, Gina smiled to herself. Ahhh, the elusiveness of summer love, she thought. Perhaps, tomorrow another opportunity would blossom.

No comments:

Post a Comment